Offering an unparalleled, sweeping survey of the political ideologies that have shaped our world, the seventh edition of Andrew Heywood’s seminal undergraduate textbook continues to lead the way in guiding students through the political creeds and doctrines that have dominated politics past and present. Covering an impressive array of topics, the first half of the book focusses on traditional ideologies such as Conservatism, Socialism, Liberalism, Anarchism and Fascism, while more contemporary movements such as Populism, Feminism, Green Ideology, Multiculturalism and Religious Fundamentalism form the latter part of the text. Taking into account the remarkable events that have shaken the political sphere in recent years, the text has been revised and updated throughout in order to show how the study of political ideologies can elucidate the significance of such striking phenomena as the decline of liberal democracy and the rise of populist movements and authoritarianism around the world.
The most accessible, concise and yet comprehensive introduction to the topic, this is an indispensable textbook for students studying for courses on political ideologies, political theory and introductory politics. It should be essential reading for anyone seeking to gain an understanding of political ideologies for the first time.
New to this Edition:
– A brand new chapter on Populism addressing the rise of populist movements across the world and the related decline of liberal democratic values
– More on sexualities, queer politics and trans issues in the chapter on Feminism; and a wider range of religions considered in the chapter on Religious Fundamentalism
– New Key Thinker boxes featuring a more diverse array of voices
– A fully revised concluding chapter on ‘Why Political Ideologies Matter’
– Updated Political Ideologies in Action boxes reflecting on recent, major political events and their significant for political analysis
– A completely refreshed companion website comprising a testbank, PowerPoint slides, flashcard glossary, additional ‘Political Ideologies in Action’ cases, and interactive simulations